To comply with social distancing measures required by the Covid-19 pandemic, RGU Library have introduced a Seat Booking service which allows safe access to the upper floors of the Library.
Seat bookings are available in the LIbrary between 0915-1645 Monday-Friday. Please do not come to the Library without having booked a seat in advance.
We are unable to accept walk-in access requests. Browsing of the shelves on Levels 6 & 7 is permitted if a seat booking has been made*. Material from Levels 8 & 9 should be requested using the Click and Collect service. (*browsing is not permitted during Tier 4 restrictions)
Please note that face coverings must be worn at all times when in the Library, even whilst sitting at a study desk. This is in accordance with Scottish Government guidelines on the wearing of face coverings in Libraries. Medical exemptions do apply.
We are sorry but this service is not open to External or Associate members. External and Associate members may make use of the Click & Collect service to borrow Library items.
Booking a seat
- Go to the Seat Bookings page.
- You can filter by Zone to see availability on different study floors. To see all availability, leave this blank and select Show Availability at the bottom of the screen.
- Bookings are currently available for Levels 6 & 7. Levels 8 & 9 are not open for booking.
- If you require an accessible desk, please select the Accessible Space checkbox. Most desks in the Library are accessible to all students but there are some which are not suitable for wheelchair users due to the structure of the building.
- Follow the instructions on the page to book your seat. During Semester 3 bookings may be made for the full 0915-1645 period. This will return to shorter time periods for Semester 1 in September.
- An email confirmation of your booking will be sent to your RGU email address. Please ensure you have received this confirmation before coming to the Library. You will need to show the confirmation email to Main Reception before being permitted to access the Library.
- Please cancel your booking if you no longer require it. This will make the seat available for another student.
- If you need to cancel your booking, please use the link in the confirmation email. You can make a new booking at the same time.
Coming to the Library
- It is essential that you adhere to the booked timeslot. Please do not arrive too early or too late. The booking system has been put in place to maintain social distancing and ensure the process is safe for students and staff.
- Ensure you are wearing a face covering unless you have a medical exemption.
- Please follow the one-way signage in the Sir Ian Wood Building to access Level 5 where the Library entrance is located.
- Enter the Library via the Entrance door on the left-hand side.
- Approach reception to inform them that you have booked a study space. Please maintain 2 metre social distancing should you need to queue.
- Our reception team member will ask you to confirm your details and check you in for your booking. Make sure you have a note of your check-in code from the confirmation email.
Moving around the Library
- Please wear your face covering at all times in the Library, including whilst sitting at a study desk. This is in accordance with Scottish Government guidelines on the use face coverings in Libraries. Medical exemptions apply.
- A one-way system will be in operation to enter and exit the Library.
- Access to the upper floors is temporarily via the lift stairwell due to mantenance work taking place in the other stairwell. Please be aware that the stairs are two-way and keep to the left. The lifts can be used, but please do so only if it is essential.
- Once on the floor there is no one-way system in place. Please be observant of other students and maintain 2 metre social distancing.
- All desks are numbered. Please sit at the desk you have booked and do not move to a different location. If there is a problem with your desk please advise Library reception.
- There are cleaning stations on each floor. Please make use of the wipes and spray to clean your desk, keyboard and mouse before and after use. The RGU cleaning team visits the Library in the morning, and at multiple points during the day, but the cleanliness of your workspace is your responsibility.
- Printing facilities are available. Only one person at a time should be in the print-hubs and please make use of the cleaning products and hand sanitiser.
- The toilets in the Library are available for use.
- Please do not bring any food or drink into the Library other than water.
Leaving the Library
- Please ensure that you leave the Library at the end of your booked time. Social distancing ‘padding’ has been built in to ensure limited crossover of individuals in the building.
- Make use of the wipes and spray provided to clean your workspace before leaving.
- Please use the stairs wherever possible. Lifts are for essential use only and restricted to one person at a time.