As an online learning student, you can ask for books to be sent by post to addresses in the United Kingdom (including the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or British Forces addresses overseas).
Books cannot be posted overseas.
- All students enrolled on online learning courses.
- All students enrolled on programmes of research who are studying via online learning off campus, including:
- Master of Science by Research (MSc by Research)
- Master of Research (MRes)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA)
- Doctorate of Engineering (EngD)
- Doctorate of Information Science (DInfSc)
How can I request a postal loan?
- Go to LibrarySearch, log on with your RGU User ID and password and search for the book you wish to borrow. Make sure you select the correct edition if there are several options.
- Click on the Title of the book and then scroll down to the ‘Request Options - Place Hold’ link.
- Select ‘Personal Delivery - Home Address’ from the Pickup Location drop down menu.
- If you would like us to post the book to a work or other alternative address, please enter the full details in the Comment field.
- Click on the Place Hold button.
How many items can I request?
- Students on Online Learning courses - 15 loans.
- Eligible research students – 25 loans.
- Reference items cannot be borrowed.
How will I receive my books?
- Books are sent by recorded delivery and will require signature on receipt.
- The library will pay the outgoing postal charges but the student is responsible for the cost of returning the books.
- If a copy is available on the shelves, we will usually post it to you the next working day. If material you have requested is out on loan, a copy will be recalled for you and it will be posted to you as soon as it becomes available.
- If you place a hold on a book and do not select Home Delivery, we will assume that you will pick up that book in person from the library.
How long can I keep my books?
The standard loan period for most items is 56 days. However, this period may be reduced if the item is in heavy demand. Should this happen, you will be notified by email of the new due date. If recalled books are returned late, you will be fined. More information on fines can be found on our Policies page.
Can I renew my books?
As long as your account is in good standing and no-one else is waiting to use them, books will be automatically renewed seven days before they are due back. Alternatively, you may log on to LibrarySearch, click on the arrow beside your name, go to ‘My Account’ and select the Renew option at any point during the loan period.
How do I return books issued through the Postal Loan service?
- Books must be returned by the due date either in person or by mail.
- Borrowers are responsible for the costs of returning the books by mail. We recommend that proof of posting is obtained.