As an online learner, you can ask for journal articles and chapters of books that are only available in hard copy to be scanned for you.
No more than one article from any issue of a journal, or one chapter of a book (or up to 5% of the whole item, whichever is greater), may be requested. These limits are set by UK Copyright law and the Library cannot exceed them.
- All students enrolled on online learning courses.
- All students enrolled on programmes of research who are studying via online learning off campus, including:
- Master of Science by Research (MSc by Research)
- Master of Research (MRes)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA)
- Doctorate of Engineering (EngD)
- Doctorate of Information Science (DInfSc)
How can I ask for an item to be scanned?
Before asking for items to be scanned, check your Module Reading List - a digitised version may already be available.
- Go to LibrarySearch, log on with your RGU User ID and password and search for the book from which you wish to have a section scanned. Make sure you select the correct edition if there are several options.
- Click on the Title of the book and then scroll down to the ‘Request Options – Article & Chapter Request’ link.
- Fill in the details. Specify the page range or tick the box if you require a full chapter.
- Click on the Send Request button.
- Read and acknowledge the copyright declaration. UK Copyright legislation applies to any scanning request that you make.
First, use LibrarySearch to check if the article is available electronically. If not, you can check to see which journals are available at RGU in print format by using either the Excel or PDF list linked below.
The list gives the journal title and the ISSN, and will tell you what years are available.
Once you have found the journal title you are interested in:
- Copy the details of the journal and the article you require into the Scanning Request Form, using a separate form for each request.
- UK Copyright legislation applies to any scanning request that you make. Please read and complete the copyright declaration section of the form.
How will I receive my items?
Scanned items will be sent to your RGU email address.
What if the Library does not hold the item I need?
If you need materials which are not in library stock nor available online, please see the library’s Inter-Library Loans Service.