How it works
The Inter-Library Loan (ILL) service can source items for you if they are not available from our own print or electronic collections.
You can request the following:
- books - temporarily unavailable due to Covid-19
- reports - temporarily unavailable due to Covid-19
- single chapters from books *
- journal parts *
- journal articles *
* No more than one article from any issue of a journal, or one chapter of a book (or up to 5% of the whole item, whichever is greater), may be requested.
Place a Request
University staff and students can place inter-library loan requests using the library catalogue - LibrarySearch. If you find something that does not offer full text, ensure you are logged in to your account and then just click on the inter-library loan link to place your request.
Alternatively, you can place a request using our blank request form.
The charge of £4 per request will be paid by your school or department. Alternatively, you may pay personally if the request is not authorised by your school.
Inter-Library Loan Authorisers
When requesting an inter-library loan, you will be asked to enter your authoriser's email address. Details of authorisers can be found below:
Receiving an item
We cannot guarantee to obtain any item within a specified period. Articles from mainstream journals often arrive within a few days, but more obscure items may take several weeks or longer. We may occasionally be unable to source an item due to availability or copyright restrictions.
To renew an inter-library loan, please email email@example.com - there will be a charge to you of £4 for each renewal. Please be aware however that a renewal request may not always be permitted by the lending library.
Collecting or Receiving my ILL
- Books for staff and students who are not online learners should be collected from the library.
- Online Learners based in the UK can have inter-library loan books posted to their address via recorded delivery, at a cost of £5 per item. They will also be responsible for the return postage costs.
- Scans of journal articles and single chapters from books will be emailed to your RGU email address.
Need any help?
If you have any questions, please contact the inter-library loan team at firstname.lastname@example.org.