How it works
The Inter-Library Loan (ILL) service can source items for you if they are not available from our own print or electronic collections.
You can request the following:
- books - temporarily unavailable due to Covid-19
- reports - temporarily unavailable due to Covid-19
- single chapters from books *
- journal parts *
- journal articles *
* No more than one article from any issue of a journal, or one chapter of a book (or up to 5% of the whole item, whichever is greater), may be requested. These limits are set by UK copyright law and the Library cannot exceed them.
Place a Request
University staff and students can place inter-library loan requests using the library catalogue - LibrarySearch. If you find something that does not offer full text, ensure you are logged in to your account and then just click on the inter-library loan link to place your request.
Alternatively, you can place a request using our blank request form.
The charge of £4 per request will be paid by your school or department. Alternatively, you may pay personally if the request is not authorised by your school.
Inter-Library Loan Authorisers
When requesting an inter-library loan, you will be asked to enter your authoriser's email address. Details of authorisers can be found below:
How long will it take to receive my request?
We cannot guarantee to obtain any item within a specified period. Articles from mainstream journals often arrive within a few days, but more obscure items may take several weeks or longer. We may occasionally be unable to source an item due to availability or copyright restrictions.
Can I renew the book I received?
To renew an inter-library loan, please email email@example.com - there will be a charge to you of £4 for each renewal. Please be aware however that a renewal request may not always be permitted by the lending library.
How do I collect or receive my Inter-Library loan?
- Books for staff and students who are not online learners should be collected from the library.
- Online Learners based in the UK can have inter-library loan books posted to their address via recorded delivery, at a cost of £5 per item. You will also be responsible for the return postage costs.
- Scans of journal articles and single chapters from books will be emailed to your RGU email address.
Need any help?
If you have any questions, please contact the inter-library loan team at firstname.lastname@example.org.