Covid-19 Information for students and staff on Library services and facilities, opening hours and the safe use of the Library.
The University recommends the use of face coverings in busy or crowded areas.
We know that finding academic literature and conducting research is an important part of completing most of your assignments. On this page you will find a variety of relevant sources which we hope will help with your studies. Remember to also check out our referencing guides.
Are you new to RGU? Have a look at our 'Welcome to the Library' pages for on campus students and online learning students!
Don't forget, you can always join one of our workshops or contact us if you get stuck or just need some help, we're happy to advise!
Browse the collections
Why not check out our extensive collection of books and e-books related to your area of study?
Remember that you can always search for specific books or topics using our LibrarySearch Tool.
Your Library Workshops
We offer free, informal workshops on various Library topics throughout the academic year and we would encourage you to come along if you'd like to improve your skills in:
- referencing correctly
- using the new LibrarySearch tool
- efficiently using effective search strategies to find relevant material for your assignments
- using RefWorks
If you have a specific question, or want a 1-1 discussion with us, you can also pop over to one of our drop-ins! They usually run in the mornings and afternoons, when we're not delivering workshops. Check out the KnowHOW Timetable for more details on dates and times. No need to book an appointment, just show up!
Here are the upcoming Library KnowHOW workshops relevant to Social Work. We hope to see you there!
Google Scholar can be a useful additional source when looking for journal articles. While our collection includes access to around 53 million journal articles (and growing!), unfortunately we will not have access to all materials you find on Google Scholar, so remember to check whether we subscribe to the resources listed in the results.
All our databases
Did you know that we currently subscribe to over 200 databases covering all subject areas taught in RGU? And you can access them for free! Have a look through our extensive list and discover something new!
A-Z LIST OF DATABASES
SocINDEX with Full Text This link opens in a new window
- Comprehensive sociology research database with over 2.1 million records and over 800 journals in full text
- replaces ASSIA database
ScienceDirect This link opens in a new window
- full-text journals from Elsevier, in life and physical sciences, business, and other subjects.
- abstracts from other core scientific and technical journals
Social Care Online This link opens in a new window
- information and research on all aspects of social care and social work
- includes links to free full-text where available
Web of Science This link opens in a new window
- details of journal articles, conference papers and chapters covering all subject areas
- can also be used to see how many times an article has been cited in later articles to trace the development of a topic
- abstract only database - full-text can be checked for using the "Full Text @ RGU" link.
PsycARTICLES This link opens in a new window
- full-text articles from highly regarded psychology journals, including coverage of teaching methods and learning in general as well as teaching psychology in particular
Campbell Collaboration This link opens in a new window
- evidence-based social science material
- search the Campbell Library for systematic reviews summarising research evidence on the effects of interventions in crime and justice, education, international development, and social welfare
SpringerLink This link opens in a new window
- full-text journals in the sciences and social sciences (current years, plus archive)
Westlaw This link opens in a new window
- UK, EU and international cases, legislation and legal journals
- Login with your RGU username and password - you will be required to register the first time you log in
Lexis + (formerly Lexis Library) This link opens in a new window
- Please note we have migrated to a new site for Lexis which currrently has content that is not part of our subscription, this is being fixed by the company so some content will change once resolved
- Legal journals, specialised case reports and legal e-books, Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia of Scots law, UK newspapers (including the Aberdeen Press and Journal)
International Newsstream This link opens in a new window
- information from more than 660 of the world's top newspapers, plus additional newswires and news sites
Business Source Complete This link opens in a new window
- articles on all aspects of business and management
CINAHL Complete This link opens in a new window
- full text access to articles in professional and academic journals on nursing, midwifery, and allied health care
- index of journal articles abstracts about nursing, allied health, biomedicine and healthcare
PTSDpubs This link opens in a new window
- citations and abstracts to the international literature on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health issues relating to traumatic events
Violence & Abuse Abstracts This link opens in a new window
- bibliographic records covering essential areas related to violence and abuse, including family violence, sexual assault, emotional abuse, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline
Family Studies Abstracts This link opens in a new window
- bibliographic records covering essential areas related to family studies, including marriage, divorce, family therapy, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline
AgeLine This link opens in a new window
- literature on social gerontology and aging-related content from the health sciences, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, and public policy
Criminal Justice Abstracts This link opens in a new window
- subject areas covered include criminology, criminal justice, criminal law and procedure, corrections and prisons, police and policing, criminal investigation, forensic sciences and investigation
Race Relations Abstracts This link opens in a new window
- bibliographic records covering essential areas related to race relations, including ethnic studies, discrimination, immigration studies, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline
SAGE Criminology & Criminal Justice This link opens in a new window
Journals in criminology, criminal justice and legal studies
SAGE Social Work and Social Policy This link opens in a new window
Journals in social work and social policy.
Encyclopedia of Social Work This link opens in a new window
- Content included over 800 articles, on key topics ranging from international issues to ethical standards, over 200 biographies of key figures in social work history, and more
- A collaboration between the National Association of Social Workers (NASW Press) and Oxford University Press
Scopus This link opens in a new window
- This database covers a large range of journal articles, conference papers etc. across all subject areas
- Abstract only database - full-text can be checked for by using the "Full Text @ RGU" link
- You may be asked if you want to create an account. Searching can be done as a guest. Creating an account will let you create alerts etc.