Covid-19 Information for students and staff on Library services and facilities, opening hours and the safe use of the Library.
It is recommended that you wear a face covering at all times in the Library (unless you are exempt).
We know that finding academic literature and conducting research is an important part of completing most of your assignments. On this page you will find a variety of relevant sources which we hope will help with your studies. Remember to also check out our referencing guides.
Are you new to RGU? Have a look at our 'Welcome to the Library' pages for on campus students and online learning students!
Don't forget, you can always join one of our workshops or contact us if you get stuck or just need some help, we're happy to advise!
Browse the collections
Why not check out our extensive collection of books and e-books related to your area of study?
Remember that you can always search for specific books or topics using our LibrarySearch Tool.
Your Library Workshops
We offer free, informal workshops on various Library topics throughout the academic year and we would encourage you to come along if you'd like to improve your skills in:
- referencing correctly
- using the new LibrarySearch tool
- efficiently using effective search strategies to find relevant material for your assignments
- using RefWorks
If you have a specific question, or want a 1-1 discussion with us, you can also pop over to one of our drop-ins! They usually run in the mornings and afternoons, when we're not delivering workshops. Check out the KnowHOW Timetable for more details on dates and times. No need to book an appointment, just show up!
Here are the upcoming Library KnowHOW workshops relevant to Engineering. We hope to see you there!
Google Scholar can be a useful additional source when looking for journal articles. While our collection includes access to around 53 million journal articles (and growing!), unfortunately we will not have access to all materials you find on Google Scholar, so remember to check whether we subscribe to the resources listed in the results.
All our databases
Did you know that we currently subscribe to over 200 databases covering all subject areas taught in RGU? And you can access them for free! Have a look through our extensive list and discover something new!
A-Z LIST OF DATABASES
ASME Digital Collection
- journals and conference papers on engineering, mechanics and energy
- engineering and computing articles and conference papers
- abstracts only - use the Full Text @ RGU button to see if the full text article is available
- engineering and related topics
- full-text papers on oil and gas exploration and production (including SPE Papers)
- PLEASE NOTE: the papers on this database can only be used for non-commercial academic purposes and you must follow the terms and conditions.
- full-text journals from Elsevier, in life and physical sciences, business, and other subjects.
- abstracts from other core scientific and technical journals
- full-text journals in the sciences and social sciences (current years, plus archive)
- eBooks on engineering and related disciplines
- includes a “data search” option which can be used to locate data for materials and substances within interactive tables
Business Source Complete
- articles on all aspects of business and management
- journals covering business & management, librarianship, marketing, property, industry, engineering and training. Current titles 1994 - (abstracts 1989 -), with Backfiles 1898 - 1993
Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Archive
- archive of mechanical engineering articles from 1847-1998 (part of the Sage Journals website)
- results from the archive cannot be searched separately but appear within relevant searches
- titles from the archive can be located when browsing
OGEL (Oil, Gas and Energy Law)
- journal articles and legislative material relating to oil and gas law
- note: the RGU Account has a daily download limit of 75. If you are unable to download articles this is often the reason - you will need to try again on another day
- username and password required off-campus - please contact the library for details
Web of Science
- details of journal articles, conference papers and chapters covering all subject areas
- can also be used to see how many times an article has been cited in later articles to trace the development of a topic
- abstract only database - full-text can be checked for using the "Full Text @ RGU" link.
Includes the 18 journals of the Institution for Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) as well as journals on civil engineering, robotics, textiles, and computing
- This database covers a large range of journal articles, conference papers etc. across all subject areas
- Abstract only database - full-text can be checked for by using the "Full Text @ RGU" link
- You may be asked if you want to create an account. Searching can be done as a guest. Creating an account will let you create alerts etc.