Covid-19 Information for students and staff on Library services and facilities, opening hours and the safe use of the Library.
The University recommends the use of face coverings in busy or crowded areas.
We know that finding academic literature and conducting research is an important part of completing most of your assignments. On this page you will find a variety of relevant sources which we hope will help with your studies. Remember to also check out our referencing guides.
Are you new to RGU? Have a look at our 'Welcome to the Library' pages for on campus students and online learning students!
Don't forget, you can always join one of our workshops or contact us if you get stuck or just need some help, we're happy to advise!
Browse the collections
Why not check out our extensive collection of books and e-books related to your area of study?
Remember that you can always search for specific books or topics using our LibrarySearch Tool.
Your Library Workshops
We offer free, informal workshops on various Library topics throughout the academic year and we would encourage you to come along if you'd like to improve your skills in:
- referencing correctly
- using the new LibrarySearch tool
- efficiently using effective search strategies to find relevant material for your assignments
- using RefWorks
If you have a specific question, or want a 1-1 discussion with us, you can also pop over to one of our drop-ins! They usually run in the mornings and afternoons, when we're not delivering workshops. Check out the KnowHOW Timetable for more details on dates and times. No need to book an appointment, just show up!
Here are the upcoming Library KnowHOW workshops relevant to Communication and Media. We hope to see you there!
Google Scholar can be a useful additional source when looking for journal articles. While our collection includes access to around 53 million journal articles (and growing!), unfortunately we will not have access to all materials you find on Google Scholar, so remember to check whether we subscribe to the resources listed in the results.
All our databases
Did you know that we currently subscribe to over 200 databases covering all subject areas taught in RGU? And you can access them for free! Have a look through our extensive list and discover something new!
A-Z LIST OF DATABASES
Database List For Mapping
Business Source Complete This link opens in a new window
- articles on all aspects of business and management
Emerald This link opens in a new window
- journals covering business & management, librarianship, marketing, property, industry, engineering and training. Current titles 1994 - (abstracts 1989 -), with Backfiles 1898 - 1993
SAGE Journals Online This link opens in a new window
- journals in business, humanities, social sciences and science
Wiley Online Library This link opens in a new window
- full text journals and eBooks covering life, health and physical sciences and social sciences.
SpringerLink This link opens in a new window
- full-text journals in the sciences and social sciences (current years, plus archive)
Taylor & Francis Online This link opens in a new window
- full text journals in business, humanities, social sciences, and science, technology and medicine; also free archives in geography, planning, urban and environment.
International Newsstream This link opens in a new window
- information from more than 660 of the world's top newspapers, plus additional newswires and news sites
Lexis + (formerly Lexis Library) This link opens in a new window
- Please note we have migrated to a new site for Lexis which currrently has content that is not part of our subscription, this is being fixed by the company so some content will change once resolved
- Legal journals, specialised case reports and legal e-books, Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia of Scots law, UK newspapers (including the Aberdeen Press and Journal)
Times Digital Archive This link opens in a new window
- full-text facsimile of more than 200 years (1785 - 2008) of The Times newspaper
British Periodicals : Collections I and II This link opens in a new window
- an archive journal collection covering a range of subjects including social science, science, art, architecture, and more, from the 1680s – 1930s
Nineteenth Century UK Periodicals, Series 1 This link opens in a new window
- events, lives, values and themes that shaped the 19th century world - from art to business, from children to politics
British Cartoon Archive This link opens in a new window
- social, political and economic cartoons including the Carl Giles collection
- many of the images included have cleared for non-commercial education use.
Radio at BUFVC This link opens in a new window
- archive of Independent Local Radio programmes, 1983-1990
- click on Sign In, select Robert Gordon University from the dropdown list and enter your username and password
British Library Sounds This link opens in a new window
- spoken word recordings on a wide range of subjects. If requested, choose Robert Gordon University and login with your RGU username and password
Web of Science This link opens in a new window
- details of journal articles, conference papers and chapters covering all subject areas
- can also be used to see how many times an article has been cited in later articles to trace the development of a topic
- abstract only database - full-text can be checked for using the "Full Text @ RGU" link.
Henry Stewart Talks: Business and Management This link opens in a new window
- regularly updated animated audio visual presentations with narration in marketing and management
SAGE Communication & Media Studies and Language & Linguistics This link opens in a new window
Journals in communication, journalism, language, linguistics and media
Scopus This link opens in a new window
- This database covers a large range of journal articles, conference papers etc. across all subject areas
- Abstract only database - full-text can be checked for by using the "Full Text @ RGU" link
- You may be asked if you want to create an account. Searching can be done as a guest. Creating an account will let you create alerts etc.