Covid-19 Information for students and staff on Library services and facilities, opening hours and the safe use of the Library.
It is recommended that you wear a face covering at all times in the Library (unless you are exempt).
We know that finding academic literature and conducting research is an important part of completing most of your assignments. On this page you will find a variety of relevant sources which we hope will help with your studies. Remember to also check out our referencing guides.
Are you new to RGU? Have a look at our 'Welcome to the Library' pages for on campus students and online learning students!
Don't forget, you can always join one of our workshops or contact us if you get stuck or just need some help, we're happy to advise!
Browse the collections
Why not check out our extensive collection of books and e-books related to your area of study?
Remember that you can always search for specific books or topics using our LibrarySearch Tool.
Your Library Workshops
We offer free, informal workshops on various Library topics throughout the academic year and we would encourage you to come along if you'd like to improve your skills in:
- referencing correctly
- using the new LibrarySearch tool
- efficiently using effective search strategies to find relevant material for your assignments
- using RefWorks
If you have a specific question, or want a 1-1 discussion with us, you can also pop over to one of our drop-ins! They usually run in the mornings and afternoons, when we're not delivering workshops. Check out the KnowHOW Timetable for more details on dates and times. No need to book an appointment, just show up!
Here are the upcoming Library KnowHOW workshops relevant to Surveying. We hope to see you there!
Google Scholar can be a useful additional source when looking for journal articles. While our collection includes access to around 53 million journal articles (and growing!), unfortunately we will not have access to all materials you find on Google Scholar, so remember to check whether we subscribe to the resources listed in the results.
All our databases
Did you know that we currently subscribe to over 200 databases covering all subject areas taught in RGU? And you can access them for free! Have a look through our extensive list and discover something new!
A-Z LIST OF DATABASES
Construction Information Service
- technical and industry information on construction and other related topics
- Please note that a small number of functions will not work with the university access procedures as email is not linked to the login.
Art and Architecture Source
- art, design and architecture articles and images, includes full-text and abstracts..
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
- prime source for all aspects of architecture, construction and surveying
- abstract only database - full-text can be checked for using the "Find it @ RGU link"
- access to ordnance survey maps which can be created in user defined scales (and then be printed / downloaded in formats for GIS/CAD).
- includes access to the Historic, Geology, Marine, Environment, Aerial and Lidar, Global and Society collections
- access is also available for Pilot Digimap - this gives temporary access to different data sets to allow evaluation
- please note the first time you use Digimap you will need to go through a registration process
- please ensure you read, accept and follow the terms and conditions for use of each collection
- surveying, property and related subjects, best practice commentaries, standards, cases, and more
- contact the library (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the username and password
Business Source Complete
- articles on all aspects of business and management
- journals covering business & management, librarianship, marketing, property, industry, engineering and training. Current titles 1994 - (abstracts 1989 -), with Backfiles 1898 - 1993
- full-text journals from Elsevier, in life and physical sciences, business, and other subjects.
- abstracts from other core scientific and technical journals
Scottish Standard Building Contracts
- Standard Building Contracts for use in Scotland - this new website holds the 2016 contracts
- Contact the library (email@example.com) for the username and password
- Please note these contracts are for educational use only and please do not repost or share the document.
- publications in Computer Aided Architectural Design
- a mix of open access articles and conference papers and abstract information
Web of Science
- details of journal articles, conference papers and chapters covering all subject areas
- can also be used to see how many times an article has been cited in later articles to trace the development of a topic
- abstract only database - full-text can be checked for using the "Full Text @ RGU" link.
SAGE Geography and Urban Studies & Planning
Journals in human and urban geography, environment and planning, urbanisation and tourism.
- This database covers a large range of journal articles, conference papers etc. across all subject areas
- Abstract only database - full-text can be checked for by using the "Full Text @ RGU" link
- You may be asked if you want to create an account. Searching can be done as a guest. Creating an account will let you create alerts etc.